White Pines Productions is looking for some special people to join our ensemble Bright Invention.
Bright Invention is the White Pines ensemble, and works within the programs and mission of White Pines Productions. We are a long-form improv ensemble that seeks to transform people’s lives through improvising, collaborating and performing. In so doing, we affirm the essential value of the artist to any community.
Bright Invention is a unique group of individuals willing to rehearse and create in an atmosphere of acceptance, growth, professionalism, dedication and creativity. We are not bound to Bright Invention exclusively, but we share the rights and responsibilities of ensemble membership. For instance, ensemble members have the right to be supported in all their artistic endeavors by White Pines, and the responsibility to attend weekly ensemble rehearsals or performances. Bright Invention is dedicated to the deliciousness our work together. We have fun rehearsing and performing, and we offer each other ongoing emotional and creative support through the ups and downs of our lives as citizen artists.
For our audiences, Bright Invention extends the gift of personalized improvised performance which, in the best moments, feels scripted and leaves audiences stunned, moved to tears and laughter, and unified in their humanity. Bright Invention believes that (y)our stories, relationships, and personal truths are connective tissues that, when crafted and shared, bring seemingly disparate people together.
Our approach to improv is grounded in theatrical training and dramatic technique. We think of ourselves as actors. We approach each other onstage with the same intensity and preparation that any script-based actor brings to her work. And - while our work is not exclusively comic - we are champions for comedy, believing is that laughter is the first doorway to transformation.
Bright Invention does not wish to simply create more improvised theater, but rather, to expand the boundaries of the form through experimentation, incorporation of varied artistic mediums, and new ways of interacting with, and soliciting information from audience members. We are a long-form improv ensemble expanding the genre, and dedicated to deepening the connection between actors and audience in all we do. You can see our current membership here.
Bright Invention Basics
Expectations of membership:
- You are available to rehearse every Monday night from 7 – 9:30 pm. Rehearsals will be both in Elkins Park and downtown at a location TBD. Special circumstances allow for excusal from rehearsals. However, persistent absence from rehearsal will result in excusal from the ensemble.
- You will be available to participate in at least one of the White Pines Access programs over the course of a year. This can be anything from a single event, to ongoing teaching and facilitating, depending on availability and interest. Training and mentoring in the professional skill sets for these programs is provided.
- You will be available to perform in Bright Invention shows in Elkins Park and downtown. Performance schedule to be designed this summer for 2017 - 2018, generally one show per month which replaces rehearsal, beginning in October.
- Generally, ensemble members take an equal share of box office income for any show they perform in, after White Pines takes a 10% administrative fee.
- Travel to and from Bright Invention rehearsal is reimbursed.
- Participation in White Pines programs is compensated by an hourly fee, $25 - $100 per hour depending on the program. Fee schedule available upon request.
Time commitment: on average, Bright Inventors spend about five hours per week on Bright Invention and White Pines travel, rehearsing and performing.
Your Bright Invention audition is an open rehearsal.
Please arrive promptly and dressed in comfortable clothes you like to move in. You will be in a rehearsal with established members of Bright Invention as well as others auditioning. The rehearsal will be led by Bright Invention Artistic Director Benjamin Lloyd. We will start with a warm up, then games, then improvised scenes coached by Ben performed with Bright Invention actors. You will be released in time to make the 9 pm train back to Philly. Select actors will be invited to a call back Monday June 19th at the White Pines Place from 7 - 9 pm. We are especially interested performers of color.
WE'RE SORRY BUT ALL AUDITION SLOTS ARE NOW FILLED. PLEASE EMAIL US AT email@example.com TO BE PUT ON A STAND-BY LIST.